Team Leader for the Health Financing Programme in Kenya
In the framework of the German Financial Cooperation with Kenya, a programme to support health insurance for poorer informal sector households was developed. The programme intends to contribute to improved access to equitable and affordable quality health services for low income informal sector households in selected counties.
The objective of the programme is to contribute to establishing equitable access to affordable, quality health care and strengthening the National Health Insurance System through improved access to health insurance for the informal sector.
The target group are households with informal employment, low, irregular incomes and without health insurance cover in the target counties.
The programme will be implemented in up to 10 counties, which will be selected on the basis of an open call for proposals. The process of the county selection is implemented by a Tender Committee comprising of the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) and the Ministry of Health (MoH), supported by the consultant to be selected. The consultant will specifically support the MoH in organising the submission of the call for proposals to the counties and the evaluation of results.
The team leader’s role will comprise two aspects:
1. Steering and Management
- Overall responsibility for project oversight and management of technical assistance team
- Coordinate all technical assistance inputs to ensure synergies across key tasks and alignment with NHIF’s needs and processes.
- Liaise closely with the MoH, NHIF and Counties on all technical and managerial aspects of implementation
- Facilitate effective stakeholder engagement to ensure smooth implementation and buy-in
- Ensure timely reporting to KFW and NHIF including quarterly progress reporting
2. Project Management
- Develop project management framework and continuous monitoring and evaluation of the project implementation.Review the Project conceptual framework to identify key inputs, processes, outputs and impact
- Oversee the development of project management tools
3. Support of technical implementation aspects
- Develop implementation options and detailed design and implementation concept to cover low income informal sector households in the selected counties with a health protection scheme. This should include recommendations to the NHIF on the following:
- premium contributions
- reimbursement procedures
- contracting arrangements with accredited providers information and sensitisation campaigns
- Ensure technical assistance approaches lead to stronger capacity within the NHIF including but not limited to data management, actuarial analysis, strategic purchasing, procurement and ICT
- Provide strategic advice and technical support to all aspects of the work, in consultation with the MoH and NHIF, including:
- the County selection process
- the drafting and signing of the MoUs with the selected Counties specifying tasks and responsibilities, especially financial contributions from Counties to the health protection scheme
- the M&E framework including the baseline assessment and presenting the findings to the steering committee
- review of NHIF business processes and upgrading of NHIF ICT systems
- the development of fraud detection and control mechanisms
Qualification: Post-graduate degree in either health economics, social science, project management, actuarial science,finance or related field
The expert must have the following competences:
- Demonstrated working experience regarding the health system in Kenya or regional countries (regional countries = countries of Sub Saharan Africa)
- Excellent interpersonal skills required for high level strategic engagement with ministries, departments and agencies, development partners and other stakeholders
- Outstanding influencing skills and able to work sensitively and effectively at multiple levels with partners from across government and the donor community.
- Significant experience managing teams and coordinating inputs from a range of technical specialists.
- Good writing and presentation skills, and ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences
- Proven experience with the implementation of similar projects (e.g. health financing, UHC, health insurance) and the administration of large budgets.
- Knowledge of and understanding of different models of capacity building
- A collaborative and flexible approach with an ability to develop strong working relationships
- Understanding of KfW procurement guidelines desirable.
- To apply, please send your CV with a summary note of your skills and experience to Bérangère de Villenaut firstname.lastname@example.org Candidates should state the role (Team Leader for the Health Financing Programme in Kenya) in the subject header.
- Closing date for applications is: 22/08/2017
- Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed before the close date
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. Interviews will start week commencing 28/08/2017
- The TOR for the programme is available on request
Options is an equal opportunities employer
Kenyan citizens are particularly encouraged to apply
This project is subject to securing donor funding and the precise details of timelines and tasks are subject to change prior to project start-up.