Health Data and Surveillance Adviser Ethiopia
Addis Abba, Ethiopia
Fixed contract (23 months, with possible extension)
Commensurate with experience
Thursday, 16 August, 2018
The Government of Ethiopia aims to lead and deliver a more effective, more self-financed and accountable response to climate and humanitarian shocks. Options is looking for a Health Data and Surveillance Adviser who will work with government authorities and partners on an anticipated new project to harmonise surveillance systems at all levels.
The Health Data and Surveillance Adviser will build capacity for the analysis and use of data for a rapid and effective health emergency preparedness and response and will need to:
- Support the government of Ethiopia to achieve improved quality of surveillance at all levels in line with International Health Regulations and national data quality standards.
- Ensure health data underpins joint action on risk reduction, response and recovery.
- Build capacity of health authorities at national and regional level for the effective collation of health data from a variety of data sources, and combining these for a holistic multi-sectoral data analysis against agreed priority indicators, followed by real time data is available and used for decision making.
- Improving the use and understanding of early warning data (for health an nutrition), making sure that multi-sectoral routine and event based surveillance data is integrated and used for early action.
- Support the Federal Ministry of Health and the Ethiopia Public Health Institute (EPHI) to coordinate and deliver an evidence-based response to acute health related needs in Ethiopia.
- Build capacity of MoH, EPHI, Emergency Operation Centres and Regional Health Bureaus to effectively use data to inform Health Emergency Response Plans.
- Support and coordinate efforts to strengthen systems for effectively engaging communities in health surveillance.
- Minimum of 5 years in disease surveillance, epidemiology, and data management, or a related field.
- Familiarity working with government data systems, incl. HMIS and/or IDSR
- Ability to deal with competing demands and requests.
- Excellent skills in using software for data analysis (e.g. Excel, STATA).
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the government representatives.
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a stressful environment, displaying patience, compassion and diplomacy.
- Ability to be innovative, flexible, and adaptive.
- Ability to travel to challenging conditions and ability to work under difficult, high pressure situations.
- To apply, please send your CV with a summary note of your skills and experience to Leanne Turner firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should state the role in the subject header
- Closing date for applications is Monday 13 August 2018
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- The Regional Health Data and Surveillance Advisor will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Travel to other regions will be required during the course of the project.
- This position is contingent upon successful award of the project
- Ethiopian applicants are encouraged to apply
- Options is an equal opportunities employer