Options is seeking to establish a consultancy framework of exceptional health systems experts to drive the delivery of a Technical Assistance (TA) programme that is focused at sub-national levels of the Kenyan health system. The programme will provide TA to build county capacities in planning, budgeting, monitoring, reporting, to promote the use of data for decision making and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) skills more generally. The over-arching goal of the project is to improve Reproductive Maternal New-born Adolescent and Child Health (RMNCAH) outcomes and reduce maternal and child mortality specifically.
The consultant will have expertise in specific technical areas in order to aid the delivery and direction of the programme.
Experience and expertise should be apparent from the areas in the list below:
- Planning and budgeting, particularly for county health departments and/or health programmes at sub-national level
- The annual budget cycle, and its requirements at sub-national level, including drafting and developing Annual Work Plans (AWP) and Programme Based Budgets (PBBs)
- Expenditure tracking, and or other methodologies that promote financial transparency and accountability of public funds, particularly in the health sector
- Performance reviews including annual and quarterly measurements, health performance indicators, data and formats
- Evidence-based planning & budgeting, including data for decision-making, priority setting and other methodologies relevant to data demand and information use
- The Kenyan Health Information System (DHIS2), including its reporting and aggregate format functions
- Awareness of county government structures, decision-making forums in the health sector and governance levers relevant to promoting public participation, transparency and accountability
- Previous experience in Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent health (RMNCAH) policy or programmes, including M&E tools and indicators used to support RMNCAH programming and reporting, such as Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance & Response (MPDSR), RMNCAH Scorecard etc.
- Previous experience in providing capacity development and capacity support to individuals and small groups, through methods such as coaching, mentoring and training techniques
- Advocacy work for health programmes in county governments an advantage, familiarity with political economies and partner coordination mechanisms preferable
- A minimum 5 years relevant experience supporting health systems strengthening, health sector devolution and or implementing health sector reforms.
- Roles will be based in Kenya, candidates interested in long term positions must have the right to work in Kenya.
- Experience working with World Bank, DFID, DANIDA, USAID or other similar donors is desirable
- To apply, please fill in the form here.
- Closing date for applications is: 25 October 2020
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- Please note that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks including criminal record check, identification check, employment references and right to work verification (where appropriate).
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- We seek people who are pro-choice, energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision.