Options is seeking to establish a consultancy framework of exceptional health systems experts to drive the delivery of a Technical Assistance (TA) programme that is focused at sub-national levels of the Kenyan health system. The programme will provide TA to build county capacities in planning, budgeting, monitoring, reporting, to promote the use of data for decision making and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) skills more generally. The over-arching goal of the project is to improve Reproductive Maternal New-born Adolescent and Child Health (RMNCAH) outcomes and reduce maternal and child mortality specifically.
The consultant will be responsible for providing strategic policy advice and lead on the development of specific tools, templates and models for use at sub-national levels.
We will require both national and international consultants with relevant experience working in Kenya.
Expertise should include the following:
- Strong familiarity with the Kenyan Public Financial Management (PFM) structures, the PFM Act and other policy and legal frameworks guiding county budget preparation, approval, execution and oversight.
- Familiarity with the annual budget cycle and corresponding health processes and products including Annual Work Plans and Programme Based Budgets, Annual Performance Reviews, County Fiscal Strategy Paper, County Budget Review and Outlook Paper etc.
- Previous experience in supporting health sector decision-making through health financing methods and tools, such as resource (fund) identification, priority setting and resource allocation, expenditure tracking, mapping funding flows, budget accountability mechanisms and instruments etc.
- Understanding of the governance structures and policy levers intended to support devolved health systems, including the structures that are tasked with decision-making, accountability, transparency and oversight of the budget cycle.
- Familiarity with the Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) or other public financial management system, including report configurations
- Familiarity with the Kenya Health Information System (KHIS) or other DHIS2 system, health sector indicators and performance data
- Awareness of the contexts and limitations faced in Kenyan county health systems and the financial systems that support them
- To apply, please fill in the form here.
- Closing date for applications is: 25 October 2020
- Please note that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks including criminal record check, identification check, employment references and right to work verification (where appropriate)
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- We seek people who are pro-choice, energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision.