The Commercial Bid and Budget Manager will work within the New Business and Partnerships (NBP) Team reporting to the Director of New Business and Partnerships with close working links with the Director of Finance. The NBP team co-ordinates and manages the business development process, in conjunction with others in Options (e.g. Lead Technical Writers, Senior Management, Programme Management and Finance Teams). The Commercial Bid and Budget Manager will play a pivotal role in the development of new proposals, being responsible for the construction of budgets and advising on wider commercial aspects of all proposals.
1. Preparation of the commercial elements of proposals
Working closely with the NBP and Finance Teams, you will be responsible for the development of commercial aspects of proposals, including production of commercially viable budgets that offer funders value for money but ensure resources are appropriate for programme needs and are aligned to programme aims and delivery. This will include developing budget templates in line with clients’ requirements, structuring fee rates and operational costs to build up accurate budgets and development of payment by results approaches where appropriate. You will also work with partner organisations to guide them in constructing budgets, including budget negotiation where necessary. You will contribute to the presentation and review of all budgets prior to submission, ensuring they are comprehensive and accurate and advising on changes where necessary.
2. Post Tender
This role will support revisions of budgets and commercial tenders as part of contract negotiation with clients. On successful bids you will work with Options’ Programmes team ensuring they have a comprehensive understanding of the budgets and assumptions to assist them during the programme start up.
3. Other duties
You will support, as required, the provision of financial information to assist with the development of bid and new business related strategies and advise on ways in which business development systems can be enhanced and developed to improve efficiency and/or increase our chances of bids being successful.
The postholder will be expected to work closely with other teams to develop the approach including the construction of data on overhead costs, day rates, etc.
The post is based in Options’ office in central London. Occasional international travel may be required.
- Management or Administrative qualification with significant financial component
- Wide ranging financial skills encompassing both financial and management accounting.
- Extensive experience of budget development and analysis
- Experience of developing and maintaining complex and large spreadsheet models
- Analytical skills
- Highly developed (advanced) spreadsheet skills (Excel)
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to present and explain complex issues to staff from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to work autonomously to tight deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- CCAB finance qualification
- Thorough understanding of and experience in the development sector
- Knowledge and experience of the requirements of donors including but not restricted to DFID, the World Bank and foundations (e.g. the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation)
Options offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous annual leave allowance, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme and a performance related bonus scheme.
- To apply, please fill in the form here
- Closing date for applications is: 14 August 2020
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. Interviews will be held week on a rolling basis.
- Options is an equal opportunities employer.
- We seek people who are pro-choice, energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision.
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- Overseas candidates require a valid UK work permit.