Designing and scaling innovation
We use a systems approach to enable promising global health innovations to achieve sustainable scale. We use evidence, political economy analysis, diverse partnerships, policy shifts and economic arguments to position innovations to achieve social and commercial impact.
Our approach involves:
- Designing for scale from the outset
- Anticipating and proactively navigating systemic resistance
- Bringing diverse partners to the table to create the right environment for adoption, investment, and long-term success
We drive innovation in three complementary ways:
1) Create: identifying and generating innovations, developing the technical thinking and taking them to market with investors and partners
Example: Flying medicines over mountains in Nepal. We are working with technology partners to support the Nepal Government in embedding drones into the health system to deliver lifesaving medicines and vaccines to women and children living in remote areas.
2) Advise: providing technical support to innovators from initial concept to sustainable scale
Example: Supporting innovators on their scaling journey: We work with 40 global innovators across Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas to design, pilot and scale cutting edge innovations and technologies to improve access to safe abortion services, information and products
3) Steward: combining fund management and technical support to enable innovators to deliver impactful results
Example: Revolutionising access to health services through innovations: We supported the testing and scaling of 19 maternal and newborn health innovations in Kenya. Each innovation received a grant ranging from £250,000 - £1million to support their refinement and transition from pilot to scalable scale.
Our Department for Design and Innovation is a multi-disciplinary team made up of public health, communications and new business development experts. We engage with the latest evidence, investors and organisations in global health innovation, scanning the horizon for new opportunities and partnerships.
Want to know more, or invest in our innovations?
Contact Sara Bandali, Director of Design and Innovation for some intriguing lightbulb discussions.