Health Financing Specialist for the Health Financing Programme in Kenya
In the framework of the German Financial Cooperation with Kenya, a programme to support health insurance for poorer informal sector households was developed. The programme intends to contribute to improved access to equitable and affordable quality health services for low income informal sector households in selected counties.
The objective of the programme is to contribute to establishing equitable access to affordable, quality health care and strengthening the National Health Insurance System through improved access to health insurance for the informal sector.
The target group are households with informal employment, low, irregular incomes and without health insurance cover in the target counties.
The programme will be implemented in up to 10 counties, which will be selected on the basis of an open call for proposals. The process of the county selection is implemented by a Tender Committee comprising of the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) and the Ministry of Health (MoH), supported by the consultant to be selected. The consultant will specifically support the MoH in organising the submission of the call for proposals to the counties and the evaluation of results.
The scope of work will comprise the following tasks:
- Conduct a situational analysis of the existing informal sector health financing schemes in Kenya, including consumer expectations, willingness to pay, affordability, satisfaction levels, feedback on current schemes and reasons for lack of adoption (analysis of existing studies only).
- Review the adequacy of current purchasing and provider payment mechanisms and make recommendations on strategic purchasing mechanisms
- Advise on the alignment of the project design to the Government of Kenya's Health financing strategy, NHIF Policies and applicable laws
- Review existing studies on Health Financing to inform project implementation
The experts must have the following competences:
- Degree in Health Economics, Health Financing or related field
- Considerable experience in a major health related project
- Detailed understanding of strategic purchasing and provider payment mechanisms
- Research skills, including market research
- In-depth understanding of the health financing landscape in Kenya
- Good understanding of health insurance
- Good understanding of innovative public sector finance concepts
- To apply, please send your CV with a summary note of your skills and experience to Bérangère de Villenaut email@example.com Candidates should state the role (Health Financing specialist for the Health Financing Programme in Kenya) in the subject header.
- Closing date for applications is: 22/08/2017
- Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed before the close date
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. Interviews will be held week commencing 28/08/2017
- The TOR for the programme is available on request
Options is an equal opportunities employer
Kenyan citizens are particularly encouraged to apply
This project is subject to securing donor funding and the precise details of timelines and tasks are subject to change prior to project start-up.