The Girl Generation Programme Officer – Somaliland
16 days per month, fixed term to January 2019
Commensurate with experience
Wednesday, 9 November, 2016
The Girl Generation Programme Officer will represent, promote and coordinate all aspects of TGG's work in Somaliland. TGG is a five-year programme which promotes an idea: that we can end Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) in one generation. The position will be based in Somaliland and is expected to work in liaison with TGG staff in Nairobi and London.
The objectives of the role will be:
- To provide overall coordination and oversight of The Girl Generation’s end FGM activities in Somaliland including those related to the End FGM Small Grants Programme.
- To coordinate implementation of The Girl Generation’s activities in Somaliland by working in coordination with an in country event management agency to organise events, meetings, trainings and convenings.
- To develop and maintain a vibrant membership base for The Girl Generation in Somaliland to contribute to the development for a social movement to end FGM in Somaliland.
- To ensure that members are engaged with The Girl Generation and appropriately supported to effectively use social change communications in Somaliland.
- To support the development of an ambassador program for The Girl Generation in Somaliland by identifying appropriate members and leaders across the different ambassador categories identified by The Girl Generation.
- To be the public face and technical representative of The Girl Generation in Somaliland.
- To identify evidence and stories of social change towards ending FGM, particularly from the grassroots level and from member organisations, to share with the core team for amplification at different levels.
- To support the establishment and development of partnerships across different stakeholders including media, local funders, INGOs to leverage resources for ending FGM in Somaliland.
- To support the collection, interpretation and reporting of programme monitoring and evaluation data from Somaliland, and the promotion of learning from across The Girl Generation and its partners.
- Knowledge of Female Genital Mutilation including in the context of Somaliland
- Understanding of behaviour change or social change communications
- High attention to detail and strong organisational skills
- Experience of meeting and events planning and management
- Good verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong networks among campaigners, organisations and government bodies working to end FGM.
- Networks with media contacts/partners in Somaliland
- Understanding of monitoring and evaluation, data collection and reporting
- Fluency in English and Arabic language skills, other local language desirable
- Ability to work with remote teams and with high sensitivity to cultural and social diversity
- A commitment to The Girl Generation’s founding principles, including the Do No Harm guidelines.
- Understanding of, and personal commitment to international human rights, particularly women’s and children’s rights.
- Willing and able to travel internationally
- To apply, please send your CV with a summary note of your skills and experience to Sarah Jambert-Gray firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should state the role in the subject header.
- Closing date for applications is: 9th November
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- Candidates are required to have to right to live and work in Somaliland
For more information: